Spectroscapes are visual representations of music using the signal strength of frequencies present in waveforms. Learn more about this project here.
This application allows you to make your own Spectroscape. To do so, follow these steps:
- Find an MP3 you want to create a Spectroscape from. It's generally best to use a song that is between 3-4.5 minutes long to ensure all of the data fits on the final Spectroscape.
- Drag the MP3 into the left sidebar.
- After the file has uploaded, the song will begin to play. While playing, the application will extract frequency data.
- After the song has finished playing, the application will generage a grid containing frequency data that was extracted from the song.
- Once a grid of numbers appears, you can select 'Generate Landscape' from the left sideabr.
- The application will generate a unqiue 3D model that you can zoom in and out on using your trackball and orbit around by clicking and dragging.
- You can then download the resulting OBJ file to use for 3D printing.
This application works best on a desktop computer. Uploading MP3 files and downloading the final OBJ files (~100+MB) is not recommended on your phone's data plan.
By clicking 'Create Spectroscape' or otherwise interacting with this application, you agree to the terms of service.